Mental Health Awareness Month: Mindful Walking

12:47:00 AM



In light of Mental Wellness month, I am posting to talk to you guys about my favourite "low-maintenance" way to deal with my anxiety, especially once midterms come along.

I started experiencing anxiety once I began university, similar to many students. Unfortunately, my best friends having moved away from Toronto to go study elsewhere, I didn't have anyone I can really turn to. My parents are great, but mental health is still a very stigmatized topic in the Middle East, so they were not an option. My sisters are awesome support, but at the time it was hard for me to turn to anyone, mainly because I felt lots of pressure being a first generation student. After seeing a counsellor, one great tip she gave me was to try walking meditation.

Now I actually suck at sitting meditation. I can't sit still for the life of me, I fidget a lot, so it's either I can't keep my focus or end up falling asleep. It takes lots of practice to get it right. Maybe one day I'll end up practicing it daily and staying on top of it. But for now, walking meditation should do.

Here are the tips my counsellor had given me. First off, do not ruminate about the exam you just had, or what the homework you have, the project deadline this Friday, or your applications due in December. Let all of that go. Start observing around you. Notice the trees, the leaves or lack of them, the snow, the puddles of water on the sidewalk. Focus on the noise around you. Are there cars honking, or driving by? Do you feel leaves crunching under your feet? Try to feel the way the wind hits your face, or the cold air on your cheeks. Present details is what we're focusing on.

It sounds super banal, but it's actually tough when anxious thoughts override your brain. But simply trying to be more mindful about what's going on around me really helps me with my daily anxiety. It might sound super simple, but along with deep breaths, it keeps me going.

- Patty
(I'm not a professional, nor do I guarantee that this will help. If you do need help, please contact the Kids Help phone line a1-800-668-6868, or Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454. If you require immediate assistance, please call 911.)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook