Travelling Gluten Free : Lebanon

3:01:00 PM

Before going on my trip to Lebanon, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find Gluten Free options or that they wouldn't even know what being Gluten free/Celiac disease was. This was my first time travelling back home post diagnosis. Being gluten free let alone is quite challenging so travelling gluten free, I did not think was going to be easy. To my surprise, it was actually a lot easier than I expected. Here are a few things you need to know about travelling Gluten Free to Lebanon(or anywhere else).

1. Airlines are accommodating

For starters, most flights are actually able to accommodate your dietary needs. When booking your trip, if done through a travel agent, make sure you let them know you have a dietary restriction. If not, you could mention it while booking. Either way, the airlines will make sure to have a GF (or any other dietary restrictions you have) meal for you on hand which is neat. Although I don't usually enjoy airplane food, it's nice to know there are options available for you. That way you don't feel like you're missing out on much. Plus, you get your food before everyone else ;).

2. Most meals are made at home 
When I'm in Lebanon, I notice that most meals we eat are actually made at home. People would think that when you're on vacation you would be eating out more but being in Lebanon is like being home. If you do have a dietary restriction like me, this is awesome because it is much easier to tailor your meals at home where you could see how they're being done. You could also cook for yourself and not have to worry about what to eat!

3. Lebanese food has many options! 
Although some families eat a lot of bread with their meals, I am fortunate enough that my family does not. Despite that, we still do find the traditional pita or saj at the table. On the bright side, there are alot of Lebanese Mezza and food that are actually gluten free. Most appetizers consist of : Taboule, Labne, Hummus, Baba ghanouj, and nuts which are all GF. Traditional Lebanese meals include: Lahme(meat), Chicken skewers, Kafta, Fish, Fries. All of these options are gluten free which makes it easier for us GF peeps! :) If you are at a Lebanese restaurant, the only thing you would have to watch out for is making sure they do not place pita under your meats.

4. Most grocery stores in Lebanon now have GF options 
Always check for a gluten free aisle no matter where you travel. With the many trips I made to the grocery store, I noticed that most chain grocery stores now have a Gluten Free section. I found many options at Le Charcutier Aoun as well as O&C. I also found products that are not available here such as GF Lebanese Pita bread from O&C. I will be putting up a post shortly about my favorite GF products with more details.

5. Stick to what you know
Despite all of the options and all the homemade meals, it is inevitable that you will go out and want to indulge. This part is a little harder in Lebanon seeing as there aren't many restaurants who offer clearly labeled gluten free items or menus. Crepaway as well as Kitchen Confidential were the only two that I encountered with Gluten Free options. My advice would be to stick to what you know. Try sticking to plain foods like fries, meats, fruits, anything you can guarantee would not have gluten in it. It may be hard but it's possible!

For a more detailed post on my favorite GF products/meals in Lebanon and where to find them, click here.

I hope this gives you all some insight on travelling GF,
xox Léa S.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook