Curl Talk: Leave in Conditioners - LUSH vs. Garnier

4:31:00 AM

As a kid, I used to hate my curls because I didn't know how to manage them. But everyone around me always told me I had awesome hair, and as a teen I started to figure out how to handle it. I tried a bunch of stuff, eventually trying to limit the use of chemical-based products and investing in more natural alternatives. However, sometimes the natural products weren't up to par and eventually I went back to using my staple product. Today, I'll be comparing leave-in conditioners and sharing my experience using them.



LUSH's R&B Hair Moisturizer - starts at $22.95 for 100 g.
This creamy product comes in a jar, in either an 100 g jar ($22.95) or 225 g ($42.95).
In short, the product is described as effective for controlling frizzy hair, as well as moisturizing and conditioning African American and curly hair types. Some ingredients include oat milk, avocado butter, olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil (for hydration) as well as jasmine and orange flower absolute (for fragrance).

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream - $3.77 for 300 mL at WalMart.
This leave-in conditioner comes in a bottle, rather than a jar. It's infused with Moroccan Argan Oil (which I love for my curls!) as well as apricot oil. The cream is a little thicker than the R&B, and has no fragrance. The ingredients are all synthetic chemicals.

Comparing the Two
My mother uses the Garnier Fructis Leave-In, and eventually I tried it to see how it would look like on my hair. I was using a bunch of products at the time in combination with it, so I wasn't really sure of the effect it had on my curls. It wasn't a product I used every time I showered, just when it happened to be in my field of vision. 
I had stopped using leave-ins for a while, until my sister bought me the R&B. The reviews online are mostly all positive, saying the product is a miracle worker and smells amazing. I was intrigued, I already love the Trichomania shampoo bar, and wanted to add other LUSH products to my hair routine. I was excited to try it.
Unfortunately, at first, I hated to smell. The product made my hair sticky, and stringy and frizzy. It was a mess. After a while, I discovered the plopping routine, and R&B worked well when I used it with that technique, and with another product such as Morrocan Oil Defining Cream or AG Hair - Recoil Curl Activator. I started loving the fragrance in my hair, after it had dried up. But I didn't see any of the moisturizing benefits. 

While on vacation in Beirut, I decided to try the Garnier leave-in, and it dramatically reduced the frizziness of my hair. Since I have some R&B left, I'm now using both of them in my hair. 
If I were to recommend one, I'd go with the Garnier Fructis! However, since everyone's curls are different, I'd recommend asking for a sample of the R&B before purchasing it. :)

What's leave-in conditioner would you recommend? I'd love to hear your feedback!

- Patty, xo.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook