"Gluten free is SO 2015"

2:53:00 PM

I came across a post today that talked about a bunch of desserts that every person living in Toronto should try this summer. While this post seemed pretty appealing - because let's be real, who doesn't love dessert.. - the subhead of the post is what really struck me which is what inspired this post. Under the title read "Gluten Free is SO 2015". Now obviously this was probably meant as some light hearted joke or what not, but this really struck me because it is the perfect example of the stigma around a gluten free diet being seen as a fad(which for some people it obviously is, but not all of us! Exhibit A over here :) ). You don't see people saying a peanut allergy is SO 2015 right?

Just FYI, you don't think gluten free people want to enjoy those desserts too?! I would die for a donut cone ice cream, some decadent donuts, or some next level ice cream cones. Those desserts would be on my bucket list just as much as yours IF ONLY I would even be able to indulge in them. IT actually sucks sometimes seeing these posts and knowing that I can't just go out and enjoy them while spending the day downtown. Instead, I start thinking up of ways to revamp the recipe so that I could make it at home which hey, don't get me wrong, I do not mind at all and actually enjoy doing :) but it's just a reminder that we do enjoy our dessert as well and Gluten Free is not SO 2015 for all of us but kind of more of a life long thing.

I get that saying "Gluten Free is SO 2015" was definitely just a light hearted joke, and I am not particularly offended (luckily I don't get offended easily, but some people would!) by it but I just wanted to point out that this just goes to show how many places don't take it seriously because it is seen as more of a fad rather than anything else. I'm sure I wouldn't only be speaking on my behalf but other celiacs as well by saying that it would be nice if there were actually more places who took the disease more seriously and took the right precautions so that we can enjoy their tasteful treats too! :) Although there are a few Toronto bake shops which already offer an extensive amount of Gluten free goodies (one of my favorites Bunner's bakeshop in Kensington Market), they are not widely available to us!!

For my fellow Celiac's/Gluten intolerants as well as the rest of you, here's a list of places you can enjoy gluten-free treats on the go, or on a nice summer day so you don't feel so bad about yourself ;) :

**Disclaimer: there are obviously a TON of GF treats found in grocery stores but this is for more of a grab and go type of thing!

- Menchie's Frozen yogurt : Many but not all are gluten free. The gluten free flavours will have gluten free listed on them which is your indicator to go nuts.
- Yogurty's : Same concept with the Gluten free flavours as Menchies.
- Bunner's Bakeshop: Located in Kensington market, this bakeshop has everything from poptarts, to cinnamon buns, cupcakes, and ice cream!! LOVE this place (* the french toast cupcake is to die for;) )
- Prairie Girl : Located on King St. West in Toronto, this place has amazing gluten free cupcakes. The first time I had one, I had to go back inside and make sure they were actually the gluten free cupcakes because that's just how good they were! They don't have that many flavours, but super worth your buck. :)
- Amadeus Cakes & Patisserie: Has some tasty macaroons and the best one's I have ever tasted to date (in my opinion) and they are all gluten free!! This sweet spot is located in Thornhill, right off of Clark and Bathurst.
- Olive and Chili : If you are located in the Ottawa area, then you have been blessed with this entirely gluten-free shop. They don't only offer desserts but a wide range of foods as well, ALL gluten free so you don't even have to worry about CC. In terms of desserts, they offer a wide variety ranging from Danishes, cookies(Oatmeal's my fav!), cakes, and ECLAIRS!!! (another one of my absolute favs). This has become one of my go to's.. but unfortunately because I don't live in Ottawa, it's only like a twice a year thing.

*(I have a couple pictures of some of these desserts that I'll link at the bottom of the post)

Those are the one's I could think of off the top of my head. Do you know of any gluten free dessert places?! If so, please let me know in the comments below or message me! :) I always love getting suggestions, and feedback.

Happy eating! :)
Léa S. :)

 Bunner's Bakeshop cupcakes                               Amadeus Macaroons 
The french toast flavor is the cupcake
to the right in the second row
from the top! :) So delish!!

Amadeus' Macaroons in Earl grey (my personal favorite!),
salted caramel, and vanilla!










Red Velvet cupcakes!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook